Monday, February 2, 2009

67 days

I did a 10km on Saturday, what was supposed to be an easy, flat run, turned out to be an ok route with more hills than expexted. I was expecting to complete the race in over 80mins as my pace so far this year has been pretty slow. Imagine my surprise when I finish it in 1:18 (78 mins). It was a nice race and something I can definitely work on.

I mentioned in my last post that my heartrate is doing "strange" things at the moment, but actually when I look at it, it is responding pretty well at the moment to changes in intensity. Which I take as a good sign. Where as before I would get it up to about 140 and it would pretty much stay there for the duration of the run, now it seems to vary as I run and walk. If you click on the figure below you can see, both the figure and my heartrate response clearly.

So hopefully when I see the cardiologist later this month and ask him if he thinks this is a good idea...or atleast if it's do-able. He'll tell me yes :)
Talking about things I'd like to ask the cardiologist, I want to know if he thinks I can take supplements like L-Carnitine or Coenzyme Q-10. I know that perhaps the benefits of these supplements have not been fully proven, but if they aren't going to interfere with my medication, I can't see why I shouldn't take them, especially while I'm putting my body through a lot of stress.

For people reading my blog who aren't familiar with me, I have chosen a monumentally bad time to complete this run. I am nearing the end of a Masters degree in Mechatronics Engineering and should be writing up my theses starting April. Considering that I also need to be training really hard in March and April, I'm going to be under major stress at that time. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: