Thursday, February 26, 2009

44 days to go till the 2 Oceans Half Marathon!!

This mornings run was tougher than I had expected. I guess it had something to do with getting up in the morning to exercise, which I hate doing. But also that it took just over 4 mins to complete one 800m lap and I’m used to running for between 1 and 1,5 mins at a time, before taking a walk break. I guess I should work at that, but until recently I don’t feel like I’ve been able to run for longer.

What was supposed to be a 8km+ run turned into a 6km run. The warmup was 1.8km instead of 2, the actual workout bit I chickened out at 3 much to Melodie’s relief I think, and the warm down, which was just the walk back was only 1km so that makes 6km. Unfortunately I don’t have my watch here, but if I recall correctly it was 47mins, which isn’t too bad, if you consider that the last km was at 10min/km. The run there and the 3 800m took us 37min, just over 7min/km. Not to mention an 800m lap in 4:07 is just over 5min/km and is not too shabby for me.

I was thinking of running 8min walking 2min as suggested in the training program, but I think I’ll first try running 4min walking 2min for a while. It’ll give me a good idea of what kind of pace my heart can handle, and it will condition my legs better for longer running.

Something else I have noticed is that, from the more regular runs, especially the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday training my shins seem to take a lot more strain. I’ve always seemed to have a mild problem with my shins but today it was pretty sore. I guess a full days rest between runs also helps. I’ll see what happens. As of next week it’s only on Friday and Saturday that I have consecutive runs.

Like I said I don’t have the data here, as I’m in Cape Town overnight and I left my watch at home, I’ll post two sets of data next time I post… on Friday or Saturday after the “race”.

No comments: