Wednesday, February 25, 2009

45 days and Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone who sent me emails or left comments on the blog, your encouragement is greatly appreciated!!

Today was supposed to be 60mins of training, which would have been about 8km, but I'm flying to Cape Town tomorrow and won't be able to train in the evening, so I'll be doing tomorrow's training in the morning. I thought 8km tonight and then 8km tomorrow morning was pushing it a bit. So I rather decided to do a 5km run this evening, tomorrow morning will be interesting as it's the first time I'll be running the 800m stretches suggested by the program I've adapted.

Today's graph looks a little strange and I think it's due to interference from my running partner's new Polar watch. Mine is supposed to be a coded transmitter but it doesn't seem to work too well because there is definite interference!! So we had to make sure that we ran about 1.5m apart! Towards the end of my run I could see we were almost on time for a sub 35min 5km, but I just couldn't get the damned thing to drop below 96bpm!! When I asked that Melodie step away it dropped to 86bpm imediately!

I think we'll have to take more care about how we run or how we put the hr monitors on. But still a nice fast run. I can't wait to see about tomorrow morning though, this will almost be more challenging than running hills. The program suggests that the time you take to run 800m intervals here is an excerpt:

"Because of their simplicity, 800s have proven popular and useful for 21km,
marathoners and ultra-marathoners world-wide. Basically, if you want to run a
marathon in 2:45, 3:29 or 4:11, (half marathoners should multiply their 10km time
by 4.66 to get a projected marathon time), you should train to the point where you
can run 10 repeats of 800 meters in the same time i.e. 2:45, 3:29 or 4:11. The only
difference is that your marathon time is hours: minutes and your 800 time is
minutes: seconds. So from the third week of February you will do 800's once a week
on Thursday's as part of your training. Start with 4 x 800 and build up to 10 x 800.
Between the 800s, take a recovery jog that lasts as long as your 800s, approx. 400m
(Additional hint: 800s are a great workout for any runner. Because they are "strong
but controlled," they are basically a form of tempo training.)" - Reference here

So my fastest 10km time was actually 1:07 in 2005 which gives me an 800m time of 5:12 and means my projected marathon time is also 5:12 and maybe my half marathon time is closer to 2:30. However on a trial run of the 800m a few weeks ago in this post, I completed an 800m in 4:17 which probably puts me closer to a 2 hour half marathon... I doubt whether the maths works for someone with a heart condition but perhaps thinking that I can do it in about 2:20 isn't a bad assumption. Unfortunately I'm not going to be doing any 10km races any time soon because they would give a good indication of how I've improved. Anyway tomorrow I'll start doing the 800m reps and see what happens, we only do 4 of them initially and build them up as time goes by.

No comments: