Tuesday, March 31, 2009

11 days, I think my knee might hold

I went for a 6km run this afternoon and although I actually found it quite tough, probably once again because I wasn't strict enough about what I ate and how much fluid i drank. Oh well Wednesday will be better. My knee behaved much better today although by about the 5.5km mark it was letting me know it was there, but nothing near the pain of before.

I think resting it over the weekend was wise. I'll try run a 7km on Wednesday and then walk 4km on Friday and then see how I manage the Zoom Zoom Mazda 15km. It will really give me an idea how my fitness and my knee will hold up. If my knee gives trouble I will not train on it until race day, but will rather try to do comparatively length of time training on a bike. Hopefully then a full weeks rest will have helped it, because it seems like the orthotics are working, but perhaps there's just some left over swelling that gets in the way when I run now.

I had a gut wrenching moment this afternoon, I was approaching the 3km turn around mark when I looked down at my monitor and it said 210bpm!! Which can only mean one thing ofcourse, for about 30 seconds my heart (in the other sense) sank and I imagined going back for another shock, but then I noticed that the indicator that the signal is coded, a little line around the beating heart, was missing! I asked Melodie to step away so that I was certain to be picking up only my heart rate, and to my immense relief it dropped to a very respectabel 100 bpm. It remained within reasonable limits for the rest of the run... atleast my heart is happy with me :)

Not long now!!

No comments: