Wednesday, March 18, 2009

24 days...MUCH better

I made some time for a run this afternoon, I thought it was necessary after yesterday's dismal performance. Did 5km in 39 min which is still too slow and I'm still not 100% but I'm getting there fast, I think a 5 or 6 tomorrow will have me back to 7:30 and I think i'm gonna stay there this time and not try to go any faster! I've learned my lesson... perhaps Marli will take heart from that :)
I wore my orthotic inserts today and I must say the mild shin pain (I'm not sure that it's shinspplints) that I normally have when I start running didn't appear. Perhaps this means that they also sort out my knees? We ran a relatively flat course today...certainly when compared to Saturdays Monster! So any knee pain was unlikely to start. But I'm very aware of it now and will be careful.

So now for something a little more amusing, being a bachelor I sometimes don't have everything in the house to make a decent supper, and even though I keep pretty healthy stuff in the house, (brown rice, wholewheat pasta, beans, frozen veggies, lean chicken, lean beef mince... blah blah) I sometimes don't seem to have everything that goes together to make anything really good. So tonight I decided I wanted to eat brown rice, but really didn't have much to go with it. Anyway this is what I ended up making and it was actually REALLY good... and I think quite healthy:
1 cup uncooked brown rice, precooked according to instructions :P
2 cups frozen thai stirfry mix
1 onion, finely shopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tin mussels
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste (very salty!)
1 tbsp olive oil
black pepper to taste - lots for me :)

Cook garlic and onion in olive oil till transluscent, add stirfry mix and pepper, cook for 2/3mins till defrosted. Add rice and fish sauce and stir thoroughly. Add mussels with cottonseed oil and all, stir in thouroughly. Stir in egg, keep stirring until it's dissappeared :P
Munch away :)

Basically, lots of brown rice, a little bit of oil, some veggies and some protien, what more could you want from supper, and you can eat it out of a bowl :)

2 comments:

Moi said...

When did this become a cooking channel ?! :P Glad to hear you're recovering ... Time trial today for me - with pancakes after! What a cool club I belong too :)

Mark said...

Oooh Pancakes!! :P
If you or anyone else is brave enough to try my recipe, please let me know what you think :P