Tuesday, March 24, 2009

18 days...and a visit to the orthotist

So I went to the orthotist today and he had me walk on one of those sensor boards, which displayed plainly that I had VERY broad flat feet, that I pronate badly and that the bones of my third and fourth toes in my left foot, take a pounding every time I walk. These in combination all probably add up to me having a bad gait which can cause my knee to move in a way that can cause serious pain.

Solution... more orthotics, with more instep support and a little goodie pushing my toe bones up on my left foot. I should get it by the end of the week. BUT... it could take some time for my feet to get used to them and in the mean time it could be quite painful for my feet and my knees. So the question is, how do I stay fit enough to complete this race?

I did 6km this afternoon... add in the walk there then I did 7km, but by 4km my knee was bugging me. I managed to finish the run in a respectable 44min, which is 7:20min/km and under my target pace of 7:30 so mostly a good run. I'd hoped that perhaps running in my old shoes would help as I can't remember having major knee issues in them, but it's obviously an overuse thing. You probably find I've worn some cushioning out or something and it'll take some time to heal, but I don't have the time. So the chances are I'm gonna run this race anyway, with a sore knee and either stop halfway through, or push myself and do some serious damage!! :(

Anyway, I'll see what happens later this week when I get my new orthotics. As a side issue I thought I'd mention that my heartrate is still slow and regular indicating that I'm still in sinus rythm, which is ofcourse a really good thing, and the fantastic outcome of this whole effort, so if I can't run, I've still won :)

No comments: