Thursday, March 26, 2009

16 days!! Saturday will be two weeks!!

I can hardly believe how close it is now! In just over a week i fly down to Cape Town and then it's a week till the race!

I went for a run today, it was Premier (formerly "Hell on tar") but not nearly as bad as the Sunrise Monster. I decided to try out a knee support, one of those sleeves that has a hole over your knee cap. It seemed to help at first but I still started to feel the pain in about the last 500m, so I did about 4.5km without pain... better than Monday. I also held an icepack to it last night and I'm sitting with one on it right now, perhaps it'll help, even if it's not really that sore when I'm not running.

Someone at the running club suggested that I do some form of exercise that gets me off my knee while keeping me fit, so I'm probably going to go for a 3 hour ride on Saturday. I'll keep doing 4s and 5s in the week to keep my running muscles going until I get used to the orthotics, which I should get tomorrow or on Friday. It's really strange that all the people I know who are running the 2 Oceans, who are in their late 20s and early 30s all have knee trouble at the moment. I guess its just when you start running more than you are used to.

Between my heart and my knee, the program I was trying to follow is pretty well stuffed, but I still think all the time I spent on the road before should put me in good stead for the race.

And for those of you who don't know what I do, I (try to) design robotic systems for a living, and my first system came properly alive today, which is really cool, and very satisfying :) There's still a lot of work to be done, but it is moving around all on it's own. Lots of fun :)

No comments: