Thursday, March 19, 2009

22 days - I thought I'd have a rant :P

Spending a lot of time running, driving and motorcycling on the roads of Pretoria I think I have a fair view of motorists behaviour and attitudes. I'm not even going near taxi's because thats a whole different discussion altogether, but I will say this, don't dice a taxi, they have no shame and will knock you over even if you are on a pedestrian crossing!

I'd like to rant about the general car driving public to which I belong. You would swear that many drivers live in their cars and never get out of them, because the minute they do get out of them, they become... yes... PEDESTRIANS!!! Or perhaps they feel the need to get back at the world when they are in their cars because other people treat them badly when they are pedestrians? I don't understand it, the number of people who will miss a runner by 20cm when there is no oncoming traffic! Why? If there is oncoming traffic I will move off the road, but if the whole road is open, it is the easiest thing in the world to give a runner a wide berth!

I heard from a friend that one of her friends was targeted one morning, the driver, in a Landcruiser! went straight for her! She had to dive out of the way to avoid being hit! What is wrong with people? Do people not understand that in actual fact in the suburbs, the pedestrian is supposed to be king?!! If a driver hits a pedestrian it is the drivers fault immediately!!? The looks one gets for daring to step infront of a car when they are about to stop at a stop street anyway! I would swear I had no right to cross the road! I don't understand people's attitudes. Is it because I am out there exercising and they feel so guilty that they don't exercise themselves? I think this will remain one of my pet hates until South African traffic laws start being adhered to, but I don't see that happening any time soon... and probably not in my lifetime!

Another pet hate is that of people parking on the pavement, or perhaps sideWALK is the better word here! Especially when there is a parking space already between the road and the sidewalk, but drivers decide they must park as close to the house they are visiting as possible, forcing me to run in the road when I'm trying to avoid maniacal drivers! I am seriously considering printing out a little piece of paper asking the driver to have some consideration and to leave the sidewalk open for pedestrian use only! I will politely leave these in the drivers side window, perhaps some people will change their attitudes?

Anyone have any suggestions? Or is this just a silly minor problem in a country beset with so many bigger problems that this is insignificant?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know that in North America the "Pavement" refers to the road where cars drive??

I think this is where all the confusion comes from...

Marli

Mark said...

hehehe... I didn't know that!! So you think with all the entertainment and fast food culture they also imported their dictionary? I thought South Africa subscribed to British English. Atleast it gives them an excuse :P