Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Hill training and cardiologists!

I was less than delighted yesterday when the coach/manager suggested that we do hill training. The Boys High route has a nice hill half way through the route, with 0,100 and 200m market out. So we were expected to do this hill 4 times. I had some serious shin splints on the way out and was not a happy camper. We just continued as we would, running when my watch beeped, walking when it beeped again, not caring if it was uphill or down.

Inevitably there was one running interval that started at the bottom of the hill... I ran the whole 200m hill! I was so surprised, I just went, there was no ragged breathing, no faintness, no burning legs. The ladies started walking one after the other, but I just ran, it was the most awesome feeling!! The simple things in life.

There's no doubt that I'm getting a lot fitter. I remember struggling to walk up 2 flights of stairs! Well I hope to keep that a thing of the past. I'm going to see a cardiologist next week, not because there is anything wrong. It's just time, I think it's been almost a year since my last visit, and the paranoid dude inside me says that this can't be right, something must be going wrong. So hopefully he puts me on a treadmill, wires me up and then tells me I'm nuts, but my heart is fine (well within limits). Actually chances are that he will just do an ECG and an echocardiogram.

I'm actually a little nervous, I've done this a hundred times before, been poked and prodded by cold hands. Had what little chest hair I have ripped off by those super sticky electrical pads, oh and a lot more of my less sparse leg hair! I've even had shock therapy :P ... no not for the madness... read the article about the various procedures I've had in particular cardioversions.

So why am I nervous? What if he tells me to take it easy, or to stop running? I'm enjoying this so much! That would seriously suck! Wish me luck. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think doctors like it when we look after yourself, and you are certainly looking after yourself! Nonetheless, I wish you luck!

Anonymous said...

Your cousin is watching you, Mark. Keep it up! you make us proud.
FW