Saturday, July 26, 2008

Week 30 2008

Last week's 15km is well behind me and now the 30km walk which I signed up for looms ahead. I've done a 20km walk 3 or 4 years ago and can't remember anything particularly bad about it. Except that we took pretty long, but an hour of that was spent by a good friends girlfriend bursting to go to the loo... so get it out before you start the race, it seems that there will be 1000 other people making the same mistake if you forget!

This weel I did 17.2 km, we took it very easy, because I don't think the body was quite happy by Monday, and on Wednesday and Friday we decided to take it easy aswell, because of the large distance to be covered tomorrow. I'm more worried about muscles getting stiff and feet getting sore than any cardiovascular problems. 5hrs on your feet is a long time. Then again I have done long hikes before, but thats different I think, the varying terrain gives your muscles and feet a break every now and then, whereas tar road for 5/6hrs is going to be tough.

A friend contacted me on Facebook about a walk she did not too long ago, but this was insane... 100km! 29hrs! I'm sure that must include rest breaks and meal breaks, but still thats more than a day spent on the same goal. Kudo's to her! I think I'll give that kind of distance a miss for now. I think 30km is about the limit. I think the big thing in something that long would be boredom! Perhaps I should have invested in an iPod before this one... oh well.

So it's a 5am start for me tomorrow morning and then a whole mission in and around Joburg. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Hi Mark,

I just found your blog. I've lived with dilated cardiomyopathy most of my life (I'm now 30). I think your goal to run a half marathon is wonderful and wish you the best in accomplishing it. I have the same goal, but have yet to get the clearance from my cardiologist-hopefully, that clearance will come soon. Again, good luck with your training and half marathon. I will definitely be following your blog.

Mark said...

Hi Ann,

Thanks so much for your comment, I wish you luck with your goal. If there is any advice I can give you it's to take it slow, be patient and listen to your body. I look forward to hearing more about your progress :)