Friday, February 14, 2014

Taipei Day 3 - Out and about in a rainy city

We made it to breakfast this morning! I think we have really beaten jetlag. There were a few moments last night when I woke up and struggled to get back to sleep, but I get that when I'm not in my own bed and I feel like I got enough sleep.

Breakfast was awesome, I skipped the cereals and went for coffee, veggies, eggs and meat. And there was Chinese pickle! Which tasted like it was fermented which is great for one's gut...I had a second helping and will make it part of my daily diet!

A small temple
We decided to brave the busses this morning and took of east on Nanjing E. rd on a random bus. We got off somewhere near Rohe street night market because we didn't know which bus we were on...heehee. It ended up being the bus we wanted to be on, a 306. But we walked around and were asked into a temple.Apparently there is a little new year happening tomorrow!







A bigger temple
They like their new year's. We then wandered somewhat aimlessly, trying to find a bus to the Maokong gondolas, which are free when you have a day pass on the Taipei transport system...why not!? So then we saw another temple, the Ciyou Temple. It reminds me of Germany's ABC tours (Another Bloody Castle). We haven't noticed them everywhere yet, but we have spent most of our time on the subway.
There was a small happiness shrine which opened up and played a little tune with dancing figurines. I'll post the video sometime. Next to it were some random Chinese figures... We couldn't resist.
Renalda met 'n sambreel
I always wanted to be a samurai, with wooden shoes


More public art!
But is it art?

We found a bus, the 611 South East, to take us all the way to the gondolas. On the way I saw a street food stall which made me very happy to be in Taiwan, you can get veggies as takeaway... at a street store!! 
Vegetables at a street food stall

The gondolas were great, there was a glass floor which was not as scary as all the portable defibrillators seemed to make out.
Baie mooi
Renalda waiting in the queue for the gondolas.

Shoes on glass

Our feet and a Malaysian couple's looking through the floor of the crystal cabin gondola. Below a very fuzzy fast flowing brook.

Tea and shrooms

Our first tea house experience, with deep fried mushrooms nog al. They served us Tieguanyin tea, which was quite mild. I'm not sure what the customs are regarding tea, but we had to order one item per person sitting in the tea house. They served the tea with warm water, which I assume was as a palate-cleanser. We then took a wet walk back to the gondolas and made sure we stamped our passport booklet.
Who said I don't do mushrooms? I'm a fun guy! ;)

Cheers!

I've had some trouble with my feet and knees in the past. Since going barefoot I seem to have much fewer problems. So we went looking for Vivobarefoot shoes, which I can wear in the classroom. So we made a mission to Hanyu shopping centre above Taipei main station, and I found a pair for NT2000 which seems pretty reasonable. And they are super comfy, super thin soled shoes.

After that we had to get some supper so we headed for Liaoning street night market where we had a feast of, chicken gizzards and hearts. Deep fried cauliflower and smashed chicken, think KFC, just edible.
The way to a man's heart is through his stomach
Renalda eating chicken gizzards on a stick

Who said I don't have the stomach for heart?
Me eating chicken hearts on a stick

Liver...natures mutlivitamin
As our main course we had pigs liver and fried green spinach-like vegetables...yum yum.
And then straight home to bed!






No comments: