Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Radio Frequency Catheter Ablation

I have arrhythmia, called atrial flutter, which can cause me to feel miserable and dictates that I take a rather nasty drug called cordarone/amiodarone. The drug potentially has numerous side effects including lung problems, eye trouble (not related to CSR), skin problems and digestive trouble. The catheter ablation was done to permanently repair my flutter, which would mean I could get off amiodarone, not to mention warfarin.

I've had the same procedure before, in about 2003 at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town. At that time it was unsuccessful as the electrical wiring of my heart was very very messy, and the doctor who did the procedure, Prof Okgreglicki who unfortunately passed away recently, doubted any further surgery would be any more successful. However the electro-physiologist I saw in Pretoria recently, convinced me that the technology had moved on significantly and considering my age, it was definitely worth a try.

So I went along on September 3rd and had the operation, no sweat. So what do they actually do? They make some incisions in your groin to gain access to your femoral artery, which supplies the most direct route to your heart. It is the same procedure they do for an angiogram. They then push a catheter up the artery into the heart, all the while viewing what's going on using radioactive dyes and a mobile Xray machine, which rotates around your chest. But I didn't see any of that this time as I was under general anaesthetic.
Then once they have an idea of what's going on in the heart, by doing stuff like giving you little shocks to pace your heart externally, they then burn the faulty neural pathways so that the spurious beats don't happen. One that was done I woke up talking nonsense to the doctors and nurses.

What the doctor said was that my wiring was still very bad, he said, electrically degenerate...heehee...crocodile clips anyone?Aand that while he knows he has fixed my rhythm at the moment, he thinks the chances are good the arrhythmia will return. Also he said that I have previously unreported calcification of my pericardium, the heart sack. This is usually indicative of a past infection of of TB. I don't remember having a previous infection, but perhaps my university days count. The doctor said that this problem is for the plumbers, he called himself an electrician, and that I should speak to my regular cardiologist in this regard, I have an appointment when someone else cancels, or else next year.

I think the most uncomfortable bit of my time in hospital was lying in bed without moving my legs. It was terrible.I kept the operation quiet, having lots of people coming to visit me in hospital is not my idea of fun, so only my family and Renalda knew I was there. She had to be kicked out by the night nurse :P The next worse thing was that I couldn't sleep, it was a mixed ward and on of the ladies was a HUGE snorer! I only got some rest after 4am when they started waking people up again!

I'd driven myself there stupidly, not remembering that even after a night in hospital, I would not be able to drive. So Renalda's folks kindly came to fetch me and drove me and my car home.

I'd been rather slack about keeping track of my INR and it was 1.2 when I had the operation. They were worried about clotting so I had to take some Clexane. I found out how much of a woes I am and how hardcore Renalda is. I held the injection to my belly for hours, but couldn't do it!! I'm not scared of needles, I just can't put one into my own skin. Renalda had to come do it for me.

It's taken me most of the month to recover fully. There was significant internal bleeding in my right leg and I still have a bruise. But I'm fine now, I went for a hike two weekends ago and played volleyball last Wednesday. Follow up appointment with the electrician later this month. 

No comments: