Monday, October 1, 2012

Fish River Day 5

On day 5 we woke up to more wonderful reflections and a beautiful sunrise over the much lower sides of the canyon. As I said we slept on the road and it was probably the best night's sleep we had, except perhaps for the next night. I think we were tired by the end of day 4 but I can't remember feeling any real stess about it. We knew the rest of the hike was going to be a doddle. So we took our time.
Sunrise over the Fish River

Four Fingers upstream from the road


Renalda's boots... there is proof :P

Absorbing the wonder of the place 
The group split up on day 5, it emerged that 4 people wanted to finish the hike that day. We wanted to leave relatively early on Saturday, but thought it pointless camping at the campsite when we could camp in the river and stroll out early the next morning. So the 4 people proceeded quicker than us. We stopped regularly to swim and make the most of the last full day in the canyon.
Truth be told it turned out to be a relatively easy hike...we weren't pushing to finish quickly, what would the point be? We'd driven more than 1000km to get to the cayon, why hurry to get out? Truth be told I think I only realised that on day 3 or 4.
More wild horses
Just before the end of the day we saw a herd of wild horses. The previous times we had seen them they were in two's. This herd had 5 or 6 horses, and there were 1 or 2 foals among them.
We camped within what we thought was about 1.5km of the end of the hike, in the middle or the river, on hard sand. We gathered tons of wood which I thought would never burn, but it did!
Bonfire

The last night's dinner for the cooks was rump steak with avo and... I can't remember what else, but it smelled delicious. We decided to try a fritata with our left over eggs and various rehydrated veggies. It worked quite well, but I think perhaps the eggs don't have the same sticking power as fresh ones. I wish I was there again tonight...

No comments: